We sometimes use affiliate links in our content. This won’t cost you anything, but it helps us to keep the site running. Thanks for your support.
Pam Muñoz Ryan has crafty a lovely poem about the ocean that appeals to all five senses. Hello Ocean is a lovely introduction to the ocean for your preschool student, and our Hello Ocean lapbook provides ample learning moments.
Thanks to Robin Diedrichs for creating and sharing this Hello Ocean lapbook with Homeschool Share.
Hello Ocean Pre-reading Ideas
Before you read the story, try these ideas:
- Feel Bag: Put some beach objects in a bag or empty tissue box one at a time–starfish, shells, sea sponge, sunglasses, or other appropriate items. Have your child feel reach into the bag/box for each item and predict what is in there without looking.
- Sensory Walk: Fill three dishpans or tubs with water, sand, and canned spinach. The spinach is to represent seaweed. Have your child step into each of the tubs with their bare feet. Small shells could be added in the tub with sand that your
child could dig up with their toes.
- Have child predict what he/she thinks you will be reading about based on the “Feel Bag” and “Sensory Walk.”
Hello Ocean Lapbook Activities
This Hello Ocean lapbook download is bursting with printables to enrich your reading of the story.
- Floating Egg Experiment
- My Five Senses T-book
- Sensory Starfish
- Life in a Tide Pool Fan
- Seashell Memory Match Game
- Sea Gulls Layer Book
- Shape Sandcastle
- Ocean Poems and Songs
- “Until I Saw the Sea” Poem Mini-book
- The Letter O Wheel
- Ocean Fishing BINGO ABC
- Starfish Counting
- Crab Counting
Hello Ocean Lapbook Photos
Here is a sample Hello Ocean Lapbook.
Hello Ocean Additional Activities
In addition to the pre-reading activities and the printables, this Hello Ocean lapbook contains extra learning options, too.
You’ll find instructions for how to make a fish, a recipe for sea-scented playdough, a wave bottle, an edible aquarium, and more!
How to Get Started
Follow these simple instructions to get started with the Hello Ocean lapbook.
- Buy a copy of the book, Hello Ocean, or grab one from your local library.
- Print the Hello Ocean lapbook.
- Choose and prepare the lapbook mini-books you want to use with your student.
- Enjoy a week of book based learning with your preschool student.
Download Your Hello Ocean Lapbook
Simply click on the image below to grab your free copy of the Hello Ocean lapbook.
More Ocean Themed Resources
Are you looking for more ocean themed resources for your preschool student? Homeschool Share has plenty!