We sometimes use affiliate links in our content. This won’t cost you anything, but it helps us to keep the site running. Thanks for your support.
This Feathers for Lunch unit study and lapbook will provide your preschool with an unforgettable hands-on learning experience.
Feathers for Lunch is the rhyming story of a cat who sneaks out the door and is on the hunt for lunch. He encounters twelve different backyard birds, but he is not successful in capturing his prey–he ends up with nothing but feathers for lunch.
Thanks to Robin Diedrichs for preparing the Feathers for Lunch unit study lessons as well as the lapbook printables.
Feathers for Lunch Unit Study Objectives
- Enjoyment of bird poems and songs
- Identification of colors and matching colors: red, yellow, green, blue, purple, orange, brown, gray, black and pink
- Introduce and explore the concept of camouflage
- Use tally marks to represent an object
- Learn facts about common neighborhood birds
- Explore bird body parts and compare them to human body parts
- Discuss and learn about cats
- Sort cat foods according to two criteria: wild and store bought
- Investigate rhyming words
- Discover the care of God for birds and humans
- Explore the letters B and C
Feathers for Lunch Unit Study Lessons
This Feathers for Lunch unit study includes a variety of lessons for your preschool students:
- Music and Poetry: Your student will learn various poems and songs which will help promote phonemic awareness.
- Math: Your student will review colors and learn how to use tally marks.
- Science: Your student will use a game to learn about how birds use camouflage. Your student will also be introduced to various birds and learn more about cats.
- Language Arts: Students will be asked to listen for rhyming words. This activity helps promote pre-reading skills. Students will also be introduced to the letters B and C.
- Bible: Matthew 6:26 will be read to the student and used for a discussion on God’s care for birds and for us.
- Art: Student will boost fine motor skills and creative thinking by creating a painting with feathers.
Feathers for Lunch Lapbook Printables
The Feathers for Lunch lapbook printables include a variety of engaging games and activities for your preschooler.
- Cat and Bird Facts Sorting Chart
- Rhyming Word Eggs
- Cat Diet Sorting Book
- Cat Diet Slider
- Cat Facts Layer Book
- Bird Poems and Songs Layer Book
- Plant Colors Matching Shutterflap Book
- Bird Camouflage Game
- Billie Bird Movement Story
- Bird Anatomy Book
- Bird Lotto Game
- Bird Colors Scavenger Hunt
- Bible Verse Bird Shape Book
How to Get Started
Follow these simple instructions to get started with the Feathers for Lunch unit study and lapbook.
- Buy a copy of the book, Feathers for Lunch by Lois Ehlert, or grab one from your local library.
- Print the Feathers for Lunch unit study and lapbook.
- Choose the lessons you want to use with your student (a highlighter works great for this).
- Choose and prepare the lapbook mini-books you want to use with your student.
- Enjoy a week of book-based learning with your preschool student.
Download Your Feathers for Lunch Unit Study and Lapbook
Simply click on the image below to grab your free Feathers for Lunch unit study and lapbook.
More Bird Themed Resources
Are you looking for more bird themed resources for your preschool student? Try these!