We sometimes use affiliate links in our content. This won’t cost you anything, but it helps us to keep the site running. Thanks for your support.
The Poky Little Puppy was one of the original twelve Little Golden Books published in 1942, and this sweet story of a curious puppy has become one of the best known classic picture books of all time.
We love classic books here at Homeschool Share, so it makes sense that we would have a Poky Little Puppy unit study and lapbook for your preschool student.
Thanks to Kelly Ward and Rose Ann Kuhns for creating The Poky Little Puppy unit study and lapbook.
The Poky Little Puppy Unit Study Lessons
Geography: Wide, Wide World!
The puppies went for a walk in the wide, wide world. Using a map or globe of the world, show your student where you live. If you have family members who live in other states or countries, show them those places on the map as well. This exercise is for exposing your student to the concept of the world and that there are different places beyond where he lives.
Discuss where the puppies went walking.
- meadow- a grassy field used for hay or for grazing animals
- road- a street used by travelers and vehicles to get from one place to another
- grass- a plant with slender leaves
- hill- a heap or mound
- bridge- a structure crossing over a gap or barrier and providing passage, such as a river or roadway
Count the puppies. Count the different types of flowers throughout the story.
Using the animal cards provided in The Poky Little Puppy lapbook printables, have your student sort the animals in various groups. This is a very basic introduction to animal classification; it will teach your student critical thinking and observation skills that he will need later. Animals included: puppy, caterpillar, lizard, spider, hop-toad, snake, and grasshopper
Ideas for sorting the animal cards:
- legs (animals with four legs/animals with more than four legs)
- antennae (animals that have antenna/animals that don’t)
- eggs (animals that lay eggs/animals that don’t)
- pets (animals your student would/wouldn’t want to keep inside your house as a pet)
Discuss the five senses with your student (what can he hear, see, taste, touch, and smell?)
- What do the puppies smell?
- What do the puppies hear?
- What do the puppies see?
- What do the puppies taste?
- Can you find something the puppies touch?
Discuss the different colors in the book. Go on a nature walk and observe the different colors of creation. Complete the color layer book with your student.
The Poky Little Puppy unit study also includes a Bible lesson and lots of cooking activities: rice pudding, chocolate custard, and strawberry shortcake.
The Poky Little Puppy Lapbook Activities
These The Poky Little Puppy lapbook activities are all included in the free download.
- New Words Layer Book
- Puppy Counting Simple Fold
- Flower Counting Simple Fold
- The Wide, Wide World Map
- Obedience Matchbook
- Animal Classification Cards
- Exploring a Rainbow of Colors Layer Book
- Dog Lotto Game
- “Oh Where Has My Little Dog Gone?” Rhyme
How to Get Started
Follow these simple instructions to get started with the The Poky Little Puppy unit study and lapbook:
- Buy a copy of the book, The Poky Little Puppy, or grab one from your local library.
- Print the The Poky Little Puppy unit study and lapbook.
- Choose the lessons you want to use with your student (a highlighter works great for this).
- Choose and prepare the printables you want to use with your student.
- Enjoy a week of fun-filled The Poky Little Puppy learning with your preschool student.
Download Your Poky Little Puppy Unit Study & Lapbook
Simply click on the image to grab your free The Poky Little Puppy unit study and lapbook.
More Dog Themed Resources
If your student enjoyed reading and learning with The Poky Little Puppy, he may also enjoy these forest animal themed resources:
If you are looking for more puppy printables, grab this set!
If you have a dog-loving preschooler, be sure to check out another unit study based on a classic book, Whistle for Willie by Jack Ezra Keats.