We sometimes use affiliate links in our content. This won’t cost you anything, but it helps us to keep the site running. Thanks for your support.
This unit study includes lessons and printables based on the book Mr. Rabbit and the Lovely Present by Charlotte Zolotow.
Mr. Rabbit helps a little girl find a lovely present for her mother, who is especially fond of red, yellow, green, and blue.
Thanks to Christa Stepien for writing the lessons for this Mr. Rabbit and the Lovely Present unit study.
Mr. Rabbit and the Lovely Present Unit Study Lessons
Here are some sample lessons from the Mr. Rabbit and the Lovely Present Unit Study.
It is the little girl’s mother’s birthday. Does your child know when his birthday is? Discuss with your child the way that we celebrate birthdays. You might have a party, presents, cake and ice cream. Do you have any special traditions? If not, maybe you would like to start one!
Has your child ever given a present? At what events do people give presents to others? Birthdays, Christmas, Hanukkah, wedding, birth of a baby, etc. What considerations should you take before getting a present for someone? The little girl in the story has thought about what her mother likes, what she already has, if she has enough money for it, and how her mother would feel upon receiving it. Pick a person in your child’s life and see if they can think of a present that would be good for them!
Add to the Story
The story is relatively predictable after a certain point. Mr. Rabbit never just guesses the right gift for the little girl’s mother, but has to go through questions.
1. They name the color, and say that she can’t give her mother the color. “Something [that color], maybe.”
2. They pick something that color that she can’t give her mother (Impossible or too expensive).
3. They name something she already has.
4. They name a bird.
5. They name something she doesn’t like.
6. They name a fruit.
You can grab a copy of the entire Mr. Rabbit and the Lovely Present Unit Study and Printables in an easy-to-print file at the end of this post.
Mr. Rabbit and the Lovely Present Printables
In addition to the unit study lessons, the file also includes these Mr. Rabbit and the Lovely Present Printables:
- Birthday Traditions Simple Fold Book
- My Birthday Simple Fold Book
- Giving Gifts Flap Book
- A Birthday Present for Mother Page
- My Book of Colors
- Mom Likes & Mom Does Not Like Matchbooks
- Beautiful Birds Mini-book
- Fruit Salad Recipe Page
- Count to 20 Maze
How to Get Started with Your Mr. Rabbit and the Lovely Present Unit Study & Printables
Follow these simple instructions to get started with the Mr. Rabbit and the Lovely Present Unit Study:
- Buy a copy of the book, Mr. Rabbit and the Lovely Present by Charlotte Zolotwo, or borrow one from your local library.
- Print the Mr. Rabbit and the Lovely Present unit study.
- Choose the lessons you want to use with your student (a highlighter works great for this).
- Choose and prepare the printables you want to use with your student.
- Enjoy a week with Mr. Rabbit and the Lovely Present.
Get Your Free Mr. Rabbit and the Lovely Present Unit Study & Printables
Simply click on the image below to access your free Mr. Rabbit and the Lovely Present Unit Study and Printables.
More Rabbit Themed Resources
Want to spend more time with books about rabbits? Try these resources.