We sometimes use affiliate links in our content. This won’t cost you anything, but it helps us to keep the site running. Thanks for your support.
Zoom all over the solar system as you learn about the sun, the moon, and planets with this set of space playdough mats.
Benefits of the Space Playdough Mats
Playdough is a great teaching tool for your students. Playing with playdough provides several benefits:
Squeezing, squishing, and warming up the playdough helps to strengthen your student’s grip.
Builds Fine Motor Skills
Rolling the dough into the snake-like shape and using it to fill the color word helps build your student’s fine motor skills.
These science playdough mats will help your student to learn new words and concepts as she builds the solar system. If your student isn’t sure what a specific term means, be sure to look it up. This will help her learn even more.
What’s Included in the Solar System Playdough Activity?
The set of printables includes the a playdough mat for each of the following:
Each playdough mat includes facts to read through. Be sure to extend the learning by adding library books about outer space as well as reliable websites about space. If your student is interested, take a deep dive and learn as much as you can together.
How to Use the Space Playdough Mats
The space playdough mats are simple to use.
- Print the solar system playdough mats.
- Laminate the mats or put them in dry erase pockets.
- Get out a variety of colors of playdough.
- Show your student how roll the dough into long snake-like shapes. Form the lines of dough into the shape of the planet as well as the letters of the word on the playdough mat.
- Let your student go for it!
- After your student finishes building the solar system, consider asking him to line up the playdough mats in order (by how close they are in relation to the sun: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune).
Get Your Free Playdough Mats
Use the form below to subscribe to the newsletter. Once you confirm, you’ll receive an email with the link to the playdough mats. If you are already confirmed, simply enter your email address below, and you will receive an email with the link.
More Activities for Learning About Outer Space
Launch your kids into an amazing exploration of our solar system with these resources: