We sometimes use affiliate links in our content. This won’t cost you anything, but it helps us to keep the site running. Thanks for your support.
Combine math and fine motor skills for an engaging hands-on experience with these printable Dinosaur Tracks Math Mats. It’s a perfect addition to a dinosaur theme for your preschool students.
Explore Counting and Number Quantities
The Dinosaur Math Mats can be used to teach one-to-one correspondence as well as counting.
This activity will help your student beyond the rote reciting of numbers and help your student to actually count the items as they place them on the mat.
Understanding that each number has a quantity is a skill that gives your student a good math foundation.
Benefits of Hands-on Learning
The Dinosaur Tracks Math Mat uses hands-on learning to help your student understand the meaning of counting. When your student looks at the card, he will have to determine how many tracks he needs to make on the card. Moving the dinosaur and making the tracks will engage multiple areas of his brain while he makes new connections.
Hands-on learning also provides these benefits:
- It allows students to use their senses to explore new concepts.
- It improves fine motor skills.
- It allows young learners to make mistakes and problem solve.
Your student can use a variety of manipulatives with this Dinosaur Tracks Math Mat. He can use his finger to make tracks in the playdough, or he can use a plastic dinosaur (roar!) to make tracks in the playdough.
How to Get Started with the Dinosaur Tracks Math Mats
The printable Dinosaur Tracks Math Mats are easy to use.
- Print the Dinosaur Track Counting Cards.
- Laminate the mat, or put it in a Dry Erase Sleeve or page protector.
- Gather playdough or other manipulatives you want to use.
- Put a large, flat glob of playdough on the mat, and show your student how to use the dinosaur to create the correct number of tracks.
Download the Free Dinosaur Tracks Math Mats
Simply click on the image below to grab your printable math mats.
More Playdough Printables
Are you looking for more hands-on playdough fun for your preschool or kindergarten student? Try these.