We sometimes use affiliate links in our content. This won’t cost you anything, but it helps us to keep the site running. Thanks for your support.
Oh no! Santa’s candy jar is empty! Your student can make some candy canes to leave him a sweet treat with this Candy Cane Math Mat.
Explore Counting and Number Quantities
The Candy Cane Math Mat can be used to teach one-to-one correspondence as well as counting.
This activity will help your student beyond the rote reciting of numbers and help your student to actually count the items as they place them on the mat.
Understanding that each number has a quantity is a skill that gives your student a good math foundation.
Benefits of Hands-on Learning with the Candy Cane Math Mat
The Counting Candy Canes Math Mat uses hands-on learning to help your student understand the meaning of counting. When your student looks at the card, he will have to determine how many candy canes he needs to make and place on the card.
Making and moving the candy canes will engage multiple areas of his brain while he makes new connections.
Hands-on learning also provides these benefits:
- It allows students to use their senses to explore new concepts.
- It improves fine motor skills.
- It allows young learners to make mistakes and problem solve.
Your student can make candy canes out of red and white playdough for an extra fine motor boost, or you can use a variety of other manipulatives. Suggested manipulatives:
- red and white playdough
- mini candy canes (fun!)
- small plastic candy canes
- peppermint candies
How to Get Started with the Candy Cane Math Mat
The printable math mat is easy to use.
- Print the number cards and math mat.
- Laminate the mat, or put it in a Dry Erase Sleeve or page protector.
- Gather playdough or other manipulatives you want to use.
- Turn the cards upside-down. Let your student choose one.
- Show your student how to make and place the corresponding number of candy canes.
If your student is beyond counting 1-10, use the cards to introduce addition. Draw TWO cards, add the numbers, and place those candy canes on the math mat.
Download the Free Counting Candy Canes Math Mat
Subscribe to the newsletter using the form below to get your printable Counting Candy Canes Math Mat.
More Christmas Printables for Your Early Learner
Are you looking for more hands-on holiday fun for your preschool or kindergarten student? Try these Christmas printables.