We sometimes use affiliate links in our content. This won’t cost you anything, but it helps us to keep the site running. Thanks for your support.
Practice counting 1-10 with this hands-on Caterpillar Counting Activity.
Explore Counting and Number Quantities
The Caterpillar Math Mat can be used to teach one-to-one correspondence as well as counting.
This activity will help your student beyond the rote reciting of numbers and help your student to actually count the items as they place them on the mat.
Understanding that each number has a quantity is a skill that gives your student a good math foundation.
Benefits of Hands-on Learning
The Caterpillar Math Mat uses hands-on learning to help your student understand the meaning of counting. When your student looks at the card, she will have to determine how many body parts she needs to make and place on the card. Making and moving the parts for the caterpillar’s body will engage multiple areas of her brain while she makes new connections.
Hands-on learning also provides these benefits:
- It allows students to use their senses to explore new concepts.
- It improves fine motor skills.
- It allows young learners to make mistakes and problem solve.
Your student can use a variety of manipulatives with this Caterpillar Math Mat. Playdough is my first choice for this math activity, but you can also use pompoms or buttons or whatever else you think would work well.
How to Get Started with the Caterpillar Math Mat
The printable Caterpillar Math Mat is easy to use.
- Print the number cards.
- Laminate the mat, or put it in a Dry Erase Sleeve or page protector.
- Gather playdough or other manipulatives you want to use.
- Show your student how to use the math mat by picking a card and adding the corresponding number of body parts to the caterpillar.
Download the Free Caterpillar Math Mat
Use the form below to subscribe to the newsletter and to receive your printable Caterpillar Math Mat.
More Playdough Printables
Are you looking for more hands-on playdough fun for your preschool or kindergarten student? Try these.