We sometimes use affiliate links in our content. This won’t cost you anything, but it helps us to keep the site running. Thanks for your support.
The world of the Argentine pampa comes to life in this humorous tale of a South American boy determined to tame and ride a wild pony. Grab our free Chúcaro: Wild Pony of the Pampa Unit Study and learn all about Argentina, the Pampa, South American cowboys, and more.
Thanks to Debbie Palmer for preparing this Chúcaro: Wild Pony of the Pampa Unit Study.
Chúcaro Unit Study Lessons
This unit study includes lessons and activities based on the Newbery Honor book Chúcaro: Wild Pony of the Pampa by Francis Kalnay.
Here is a sample of the lessons found in this Chúcaro: Wild Pony of the Pampa unit study:
The story is set in the country of Argentina. Argentina lies in South America. Its capital is Buenos Aires, which has a population of around 13 million, is also its largest city. Argentina is the second largest
country in South America and the 8th largest in the world. Argentina is a very diverse country geographically. The country is broken up into six regions. Below is the list of the regions with the provinces in that region.
- Argentine Northwest: Jujuy, Salta, Tucumán, Catamarca, La Rioja
- Gran Chaco: Formosa, Chaco, Santiago del Estero
- Mesopotamia (or Littoral): Misiones, Entre Ríos, Corrientes
- Cuyo: San Juan, Mendoza, San Luis
- Pampas: Córdoba, Santa Fe, La Pampa, Buenos Aires
- Patagonia: Rio Negro, Neuquén, Chubut, Santa Cruz, Tierra del Fuego
Science: The Pampa
The pampa is the fertile plains in the provinces of Buenos Aires, La Pampa, Santa Fe, and Córdoba and in the country of Uruguay and a small southern portion of Brazil. This is the homeland of the gauchos where they raised cattle and food.
There are different names for plains across the world. Here is a list of them:
- United States and Canada: prairies
- Russia: steppes
- Africa: savannas
- Northern climates: tundra
- Venezuela: llanos
You can grab a copy of the entire Chúcaro: Wild Pony of the Pampa unit study in an easy-to-print file at the end of this post.
How to Get Started with the Chúcaro Unit Study
Follow these simple instructions to get started with the Chúcaro: Wild Pony of the Pampa unit study:
- Buy a copy of the book, Chúcaro: Wild Pony of the Pampa, or borrow one from your local library.
- Print the Chúcaro: Wild Pony of the Pampa unit study.
- Choose the lessons and printables you want to use with your student (a highlighter works great for this).
- Enjoy a week of book-based learning with your student.
Download Your Free Chúcaro Unit Study
Simply click on the image below to grab the free Chúcaro: Wild Pony of the Pampa unit study.