This month we’ve got a fun cooking activity that would be a great go-along if you’re reading The Borrowers! If you’ve never read it, The Borrowers is a book about the Clock family, who are tiny people that live in the walls of a house. They’re called Borrowers because they borrow what they need to survive from the big people who live in the house. There are actually four sequels to The Borrowers, so you can read all about their adventures!
We made our cupcakes in condiment cups, but you can use a mini muffin pan, too. Make sure you use baking spray inside the cups so the cupcakes will come out in one piece. I sprayed some on a plate and then we used paintbrushes to make sure the insides were covered.
Fill your condiment cups with the cake batter. As you can see, it may be difficult for small hands to do this neatly, but the point is to have some fun and not worry about it looking like a Pinterest project!
Here’s the recipe we used for our cupcakes!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- Spray your condiment cups with baking spray or use cupcake liners in a mini muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Then add the milk, shortening, and vanilla and beat with a mixer until everything is combined.
- Add the egg and beat again.
- Fill condiment cups about half full with batter.
- Bake at 350 F for about half an hour.
- Let the cupcakes cool and then frost and decorate!