With Memorial Day, Flag Day, and Independence Day all so close together, this is a great time of year for a patriotic book like America the Beautiful: Together We Stand. This book is a unique combination of the lyrics of “America the Beautiful” with illustrations by some of the best children’s book illustrators and quotes by a variety of presidents. Pair it with a patriotic dessert, and you’ve got a great way to spend a summer afternoon!
Here’s a simple recipe for a delicious pound cake!
- 2 cups butter
- 3 cups white sugar
- 6 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 2/3 cups milk
- Grease three 8×4 inch loaf pans.
- Mix butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Alternate flour and milk until everything is mixed in.
- Divide the batter into the three pans and bake at 350 degrees for about 55 minutes.