Do you love Jan Brett’s books as much as I do? Oh my…her books make my heart pitter patter in that kindergarten-teacher-book-lover sort of way. 🙂
Winter is the perfect season to explore an author study of Jan Brett and dig into her fun tales! The Mitten is one of my all time favorites!! (Not to mention Gingerbread Baby, Hedgie, ok…well, they are all favorites!)
Homeschool Share’s unit study (and lapbook!) for The Mitten are just as fun as fun can be! I don’t know about your children, but mine love any story and learning activity on ANY animal. Kids and animals just go together…and this story is full of possibilities for studying various animals!!
Check out the Homeschool Share animal units/lapbooks on specific animals – you could choose 1 animal or several animals, from the story, to learn more about. I think Polar Animals would be fun, or maybe specifically bears or hedgehogs or rabbits!
There are many possibilities for exploration with this book!!
One thing that I love to do every single time we read a Jan Brett book in our home is pull out all the books of hers that we own and COMPARE and ADMIRE and CONTRAST all of her beautiful illustrations. I love to make note of her unique style that is so endearing. Maybe, if you have any artistic children in your home, take a few moments and work on a Jan Brett-like illustration of your own! Or even write a whole story Jan Brett-style!
This book also brings with it the perfect opportunity for learning through PLAY with your preschoolers and early elementary kiddos!! Mittens! Fun! (and if you have snow and get to play in it with mittens, even better!)
Fun with Mittens
- get several cheap pair of different colors/sizes/patterns and make patterns with your child (or cut them out with various papers)
- do addition/subtraction problems with your mittens
- find some toy animals and re-enact the story!!
- estimate how many of your toy animals you could fit into various mittens
- have some craft time and CREATE mittens (there are various crafts found on the pinterest board below)
- read The Three Little Kittens Mother Goose Nursery Rhyme and look at this fun lapbook! (they lost their mittens, remember?)
Jan Brett also has one of the best author websites I have seen!! You can explore her website for days, really! I have listed a few of my favorite places below…you can print coloring pages, watch videos of Jan Brett describing her stories, watch her drawing some of her famous animals, and more!
Links to Explore
- Jan Brett’s website – be sure to read about how Jan came up with the idea for the tale of The Mitten!
- Jan Brett coloring pages – her own illustrations for your child to color!!
- A video of Jan herself teaching us how to draw a hedgehog!!
- Lots of fun ideas for using The Mitten in our lessons
Ok, well I clearly could go on and on with this…but I think you probably have enough ideas to get you started!! I hope you and your kids have FUN with The Mitten!
Here is our Pinterest Board for The Mitten & Jan Brett!