Spring has sprung and hopefully with it will come lovely showers and lots of rainbows!
This month we have a fun snack to go along with A Rainbow of My Own, by Don Freeman. In this story, a boy sees a rainbow and tries to find where it ends, but when he gets there, it’s gone. He imagines all the things he could do with a rainbow of his very own!
The you’ll take part of the jello and mix in the sour cream or cool whip. If you let the sour cream set out a little and warm up it will mix in better and you won’t have little white spots. I used a whisk to make sure it was well mixed!
Here’s the full recipe:
- small boxes of jello in each color
- 24 oz. container of sour cream (or you can use cool whip)
- Spray your dishes with baking spray. With this recipe I was able to make an 8 x 8 pan and two small dessert dishes like the one pictured above.
- Start with purple and stir the package of jello into one cup of boiling water.
- Take 2/3 cup of the purple jello mixture and pour it into your dish. Set it in your fridge for about 15 to 20 minutes to get firm.
- Add enough sour cream to the remaining purple jello to make 2/3 cup and mix it together well.
- Once the first purple layer is firm, pour the second layer on top. I have found that if the jello you’re pouring is still warm it’s best to pour it into a spoon and let it run down on top of the firm layer gently or you may get a hole in your layers in the pan!
- Repeat steps 2 through 5 with the remaining colors of jello.